Background

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Compassion and Blueberry Cobbler

"My little children, let us not love in word,
neither in tongue; but in deed and truth."
(1 John 3:18)

While I was pregnant with Lillie-Mae, I read "A Love That Multiplies" by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar. Since the Duggars aired their show, {19} Kids and Counting, I have admired the way that Michelle parents her children- she is soft spoken, kind, humorous, and conveys a sense of calm to her very large family. I am aware that some have their opinions of large families. However, it would only take a few episodes to see that all 19 of the Duggar Children are bright-eyed, have hearts full of love, and are compassionate in serving the Lord. One thing that I took from her book was the importance of teaching our children certain character traits. She charts 49 character traits that are important for her children to learn. They focus on one trait a month by acting out that specific trait to family members and those outside of the family. You can download the chart here.

"Compassion: Investing whatever is necessary
 to heal the hurt of others"

We are starting the month of January off by working on compassion (vs. indifference). The definition given for  Compassion: Investing whatever is necessary to heal the hurt of others. It has been one of my resolutions (read them all here) to foster the gifts that God has given Dallas. One thing that wild, loud, messy toddler has is compassion! If his baby sister is crying, he will quickly pat her and say "It's okay baby girl... Don't cry... Momma will (feed you, change your diaper, come pick you up)" To which I will say, "Dallas, maybe she just wants some love from you". He then shrugs his shoulders and leaves the rest to me. So, I saw a need for Dallas to go beyond his initial reaction to soothe someone in despair, pain, etc. 

My Nana recently had surgery to remove a cancerous spot on her leg. She is not able to get out of the bed for a while, and I knew that she would love a visit from Dallas. I suggested that we make a blueberry cobbler for his Nana! (If you know my grandparents, then you understand that a home-made dessert goes right to the heart.) Cobblers have few ingredients, you can make them a thousand ways, and they are basically fool-proof (or in this case, toddler proof). He was great at measuring, mixing, and delivering his dessert to his Nana.


(Sidenote: We are at my parents' house cooking. Long story short, 
my washer is broken and they have a working washer.)





He is licking the oven because it "smelled so good". Baby girl watched and screamed (her approving sign of a situation).



Here is my recipe for Blueberry Cobbler:
***I do not give simple instructions :) :) :) 
3-4 cups fresh blueberries (if frozen, defrost to room temperature)
1 cup white flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
Some milk
4-6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1. Sift flour, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl. (Do NOT use a sifter with a toddler. Let them use their clean hands or a spoon).
2. Stir in the egg until clumpy and well mixed.
3. Add milk until gravy like texture.
4. Place blueberries in an 8x8 baking dish or pie dish (I mash mine lightly with a fork to make the cobbler extra juicy).
5. Spread mixture over blueberries. Pour melted butter over mixture.
6. Bake at 350 for maybe 20 minutes, maybe 30 (depends on oven) until very lightly brown on top.
7. Most importantly, Serve with ICE CREAM



To sum up the visit, my Nana was very happy to see Dallas bring in the cobbler. He patted her bandaged leg and asked her how she was feeling. I was very proud when he told her that eating the cobbler would take her mind off the pain ;) Before he came to see her, I asked her not to "tip" him for his act of compassion. However, he couldn't help but show me the $2 she gave him. (Grandparents... they like to spoil).

As for the taste (I actively seek compliments for "my cooking"-maybe I should work on humility!!)... My Papaw stated,  "Is this your first time making it?".









No comments:

Post a Comment