Background

Monday, January 28, 2013

Favorite Homemade Cleaners

Get ready to be amazed at the amount of recipes that I am going to post for y'all! As mentioned in my last post, I love to make natural/homemade cleaners, because they are- frugal, easy to make, and flexible in their purposes. 

1. This first recipe for All Purpose Cleaner comes from Abby at Homebirthin' Momma. Her and I share similar ideas in homebirth, raising kids for the Lord, and... cleaning!! (A lady after my own heart for sure). 

6 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
4 cups water
2 Tablespoons Borax
2 Tablespoons dish soap 
Use funnel and add to spray bottle in the order listed. 

2. Dusting Spray- Great for real wood or any surface that you would normally dust. Spray directly to wood or onto a microfiber cloth. 

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon olive oil (to condition wood)
3 cups water
Mix ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake as you go to keep the ingredients mixed. 

3. Fabric Refresher

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup fabric softener (I buy fancy softener that smells wonderful, because a little goes a long way 
                                     with this recipe.)
1 tablespoon baking soda (as a deodorizer) 
Mix ingredients in a spray bottle and mist on fabrics as much as you like! 

4. Mopping Solution 

1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon or tablespoon dish soap (depends on how "sudsy" you need the cleaner to be)
1/4 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
2 gallons very warm water
When mopping, I use reusable microfiber rags attached to a Swiffer mop. Or, invest in a mop with velcro strips and very thick scrubbing pads. This would be a great mop! 


*Bonus Trick: To clean Baseboards- use a dryer sheet. This will pick up lint and coat against dust and hair. 



3 comments:

  1. Love them all!!! :-) Do you use homemade dishwasher detergent? I HATE spending the money on it and I am extremely leery to attempt it because I have heard so many negative reviews. If you use homemade, I definitely want the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried some homemade dishwashing detergent off of Pinterest, and it was awful. Left dishes dirty and left a film of detergent. It was one of the recipes that doesn't use citric acid, so maybe that's something you have to have. I have been buying a huge box of "Finish" dishwashing detergent when it's on sale, and it works great. I use that same household cleaner, and I love it!

      Delete
    2. I have tried a homemade dishwasher detergent but it was a fail :/ Unfortunately, our we have very hard water and nothing except a chemical cleaner works. I even tweaked a few, but dishes were always foggy like Amanda said. It would cut through the grime (and leave my dishwasher clean), but the dishes would have residue left over from the homemade cleaner. Check out One Good Thing by Jillee- http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/homemade-dishwasher-detergent-revised.html

      This soap worked better than any for me!

      Delete