Background

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Laundry Detergent



"Make all you can... Save all you can.. 
GIve all you can..." John Wesley

I started on the road to less chemical, more natural cleaners out of... boredom. I got tired of buying the same ole cleaners, so I decided to try my luck with making up my own! I then saw how frugal this was, the freedom to add/take away ingredients to make the best cleaner for my home, and also the fun in choosing what scent I wanted my cleaners to be (lemon is my go to essential oil!). 

First, I made a homemade laundry detergent from the Duggar's: 19 Kids and Counting episode that the girls had made. You can find that recipe here. It makes a huge batch! It is enough to make 10 gallons. When I had morning sickness with my last pregnancy, the smell of this detergent would make me very ill! Unfortunately, I can't go back to using it. 

Thankfully, I found a recipe for a new detergent that was cheaper, easier to make, and smelled quite nice! One gallon costs about 17¢ I wash about two loads of laundry a day (10-15 a week)!! I am very picky about only using Lillie-Mae's blankets once, all of Dallas' clothes are only worn once before washing, and I wash ALL bedding (sheets, blankets, and quilts) every week. So, being frugal in the laundry room is a must! 

A Mom's Best Guess: Laundry Detergent

(recipe is for one gallon. I use leftover Vinegar bottles from Costco for storing.)
3 tablespoons Borax
3 tablespoons Washing Soda
2 tablespoons Dish Detergent (I use Dawn lavender for the scent)

Use a funnel to add the ingredients to your detergent container. Then, add 4 cups of VERY hot water through the funnel. Swirl around to blend. Then, fill up to a gallon with cold water by pouring 2 cups at a time through the funnel. I marked a line with permanent marker so I don't have to count the amount that I am pouring in. Put the lid on and give it a good shake. Add as much as you want to a load, because it's cheap!!! (But seriously, about a cup should work). 










Add Vinegar to the wash cycle for very dirty loads. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment