Background

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year

"2013 will be a great year. I will love my family, 
be used by God, and grow as an individual."

When I was younger, I looked forward to spending New Year's at either my Nana's or my Mamaw's house. I knew that I could eat junk food (popcorn and Oreos) and stay up watching Dick Clark bring in the new year. The most memorable New Year I remember was Y2K. My Mamaw filled up the bathtub, and I held my breath as the clock got seconds closer to seeing if the world was going to stop (I had images of all the lights going out and the assembly lines that fueled consumerism shutting down). Thankfully, that didn't happen!  

On New Year's Eve, I cooked collared greens, chicken noodle soup, and black eyed peas. We brought the meal to my grandparents for them to enjoy as well, and she supplied the corn muffins and iced tea. (I need to take a moment to tell you how much I thoroughly enjoy southern food!). I love that my Papaw and Nana Cawood have a strong marriage- they are always laughing and winking at each other. My Nana shared a story of how one New Year's Eve, Papaw lifted her in the air to kiss her- grabbing her ribs so hard that he cracked them. She got so "tickled" while telling the story, and my Papaw just sat there with a big smile on his face! I hope to have a love like theirs that grows through the years. 

Chicken Noodle Soup from my Childhood Cookbook

Black-Eyed Peas

This year, I spent the last seconds of 2012 enjoying a hot bath. This may seem boring to most, but a long bath with the water filled up to my shoulders is the most enjoyable thing I never get to do. While my skin was steaming, I thought about what I wanted from my marriage, myself, and my family in the new year. Dallas has changed from a little boy to a big boy over night. In the new year, I am praying that God will reveal some of the gifts that I as his mother need to nurture. I can already tell that he is compassionate- in tune with other's emotions. For Lillie Mae, I pray for her health and happiness. As her mother, I want to have patience and instincts to raise her up with the utmost love.

I asked Chris a few days ago what were his resolutions- he replied that resolutions were stupid and pointless to make for the new year. Geez, where's the humor ;) I guess he could tell that I didn't like that response, so last night he made Resolution cards for us to write out and look back on for next year. For our marriage, I want us to better our communication. In our one year of marriage, one thing I can say is that it has lived up to it's stigma of the "First Year of Marriage" being hard. I want to learn to become Chris' "helpmate", not just his mate. I want him to always know that when he comes home, I am 100% satisfied with who God gave me. And, I am! That man amazes me every day with his patience and diligence with me! I will forever love him for that. 
James 1:3 "Know this that the trying of your faith worketh patience."

Today we have celebrated New Year's by visiting with family, eating another holiday dinner (sauerkraut and kielbasa, fried potatoes, and more collared greens), going to see a movie, and letting Dallas switch out a Christmas toy. It has been relaxing and full of blessings! 

 Eat Your GREENS!!




No comments:

Post a Comment