Background

Monday, February 11, 2013

Home Remedies

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew
their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; 
they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall
walk, and not faint" Isaiah 40:31

I have struggled posting about Home Remedies, because I do not want people to take what I am suggesting as judgement on the decision for their families. There are some health things that I believe strongly are wrong for everyone: smoking, alcohol, and some forms of contraception. In the middle of one's health, there are methods/medicines that I believe are wrong most of the time: the overuse of antibiotics, tylenol, OTC cough medicines, invasive surgeries, inducing labor, and vaccinations. All I can convey is what has worked for my family- and all the glory for that goes to God! I believe that God gave us herbal supplements found in their natural form to use.

Everyone needs to take a multi-vitamin and fish oil daily- I suggest Formula IV and Salmon Oil. I feel like the newest craze in healthy living is to take salmon oil. Make sure that you are buying from a reputable company- there are many toxins that can be contained in the oils and 100% salmon oil is the best.

Kids and runny noses are as expected as rain the day after you wash your car. It does not have to be the norm, though! At the first signs of a runny nose, watery eyes, or slight cough, I will start to give a child 1 teaspoon of elderberry cough syrup every hour until the symptoms are gone. What led me to this treatment was a cold that Dallas had when he was 9 months old (his first sickness). After taking him to the doctor, he told me it was only a virus and gave me a cough medicine and told me to give him Tylenol every hour for his fever. One dose of Tylenol left my baby boy limp, wide-eyed, and unable to eat or sleep for several hours. I don't think that I have ever prayed as hard as I did that day after giving him Tylenol- pleading with God to show me a better way to heal him. My dad, "Chief", is very protective of Dallas, and got him some OTC cough medicine. I could not give this to him, it just didn't feel right. So, I loaded up my sick baby in the car and drove to a nutrition shop that specialized in herbal supplements and had helped me with a few issues in high school. Jim at Nature's Finest said to give the elderberry every hour and I would see a significant difference in Dallas within 24 hours. But it didn't take that long- after 4 doses, he was able to rest without coughing and breathe normally.

So, what do you do when you have a bacterial infection that "needs" an antibiotic? You forgo the antibiotic and use Silver Shield. Through strep throat, flu, colds, etc. Silver Shield has been able to fight off sickness in myself and children. Colloidal silver is a natural way to support the immune system.

Another common health problem often found with children are ear infections. Why do ear infections occur in more kids that others? I do not know. But what I see is antibiotics quickly being perscribed for ear infections, tubes being put it, invasive procedures- draining the ear drum, prescription ear drops, that do not heal the child. Dallas has had two ear infections- the first occurrence when he was 2 years old. No, a doctor did not tell me that he had an ear infection, but he was suffering from a cold and a high fever. Then, he crawled into my lap and just started screaming for over an hour- he was completely inconsolable. I had recently read another mom's post of how she administered her son's urine to his ears with a dropper to cure the infection/ear ache. How bizarre! Of course I wouldn't tell you to put urine in your child's ear... I would HIGHLY suggest it. Call me crazy, but if your child is screaming and you are praying then suddenly feel like you should ask your child to urinate into a cup and put that into a dropper to go into the ear, listen to that instinct! Within 1 minute, Dallas was sound asleep and woke up smiling. At this point, you might be thinking "Well, his symptoms weren't as bad as my child's" or "How do you know what's safe?" And to that I will say, there are tried practices with herbal supplements that are proven effective. Take it or leave it, it's better than a trip to the emergency room and failed attempts at solving what could be cured naturally.

If you want to talk more about healthy living/natural remedies, I am more than willing! Most importantly, what I would love for you to take from this post is to trust God more than you do a doctor.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Danielle! Love your blog!

    Thanks for mentioning our name. It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job passing along info for natural health care. If we can help anybody, we'd be glad to.

    Thanks,
    Jim at Nature's Finest

    ReplyDelete