Background

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

One Thousand Gifts

This morning when the girls woke up at the same time crying, both with runny noses, as I was still recovering from sickness I struggled with which ones needs to address first. When I checked the refrigerator for breakfast to find lack thereof (not because of a lack of finances but lack of timing to go to the store), I wanted to choose to ignore hunger pains. As I looked at my to do list and was angered by remembering that a renter had not paid for the month, I wanted to file an eviction quickly. When three phone calls in a row quizzed me on a task needed done by the end of the day, I wanted to un-volunteer my services. Definitely when the man at the door came knocking with a clipboard and serious face, I did not want to greet him in a friendly way while wearing my "Who's the better sister shirt", leftover mascara, and pajama pants. And lastly (as most often happens) when my husband texted me his support, faithfulness, and loving words I wanted to respond with "K" (and maybe did initially) before explaining what work I could see God doing in my heart for the day. 


I walked (while stomping) through the house with the grudges that I just knew were Satans plan against my joy- I gave thanks to God for the dirty pile of clothes meaning we were prepared for cold weather, surrendered my competence for His power over things expected of me, made a promise to put others first no matter the cost, and thanked Him for being the Great Physician for my family's health. 


Within a couple of hours I heard a baby breathing freely. Bacon that had reached an expired date was still fresh and cooked into tasty bacon sandwiches. Said renter phoned me to say her boys had been in the hospital with sickness; my Momma heart was broken. Phone calls quickly turned into blessings and relief as an aunt volunteered to pick up my son from school, a date for a close approaching event was rescheduled for six weeks later (a deadline I could work with!) A smile from the back porch to the man previously at the front door was returned- he was there to adjust our insurance coverage to cover the cost of renovations (thank you God for seeing a need I did not!). And lastly, but most importantly, the husband's response, "You are such a blessing, Danielle." 


O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Psalms 95:1


What if God's grace hadn't shown in my life this morning- could I still give thanks? What if the sickness increased and there wasn't really any money for food? Could I still find thanksgiving? I would like to say, "Yes!" This morning, though, probably not. But God met me where I needed Him. He provided, healed, sent His love through friends and family, and spoke to me through His word. 


The best thing yet is that I know He's not done. The day is not halfway through, Satan still goes as the Prince of the Air, and man will ultimately fail me. But a time of prayer in my weakness will always be sufficient. 


O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. Psalms 95:6 


This sharing with you is my worship. 



No comments:

Post a Comment